Deva blinds join the "Make it safe" campaign

With the immanent ratification of BS EN 13120 where it will be mandatory for manufacturers and installers in the blinds industry to provide child safe blinds, Deva blinds have decided to join the “Make it Safe” campaign run by the British Blinds and Shutters Association.

Paul Pollard-Fraser, owner of Deva blinds said, “We have always taken child safety seriously when we fit blinds.  The new European legislation, BS EN 13120, is about to come become law.  By joining the “Make it safe” campaign run by the BBSA we will remain up to date with the legislation.”

“I am keen wherever possible to manufacture our blinds that do not pose a risk to young children and as such we no longer make vertical blinds with looped cords.  Our vertical blinds are now controlled by a wand, which is 100% child safe.”

“I installed a Roman blind made by one of our out sourced suppliers today.  The blind had a contentious looped cord and they had supplied a “P” clip that could not be attached to the cord.  As much use as a chocolate tea pot!.  The whole industry needs to get very serious about child safety.”

 

 

Make it safe

 

 

Paul Pollard-Fraser – Deva Blinds Ltd  devablinds.co.uk 

Second child in a week dies in Australia after getting tangled in blind cord

 

Another toddler has died after becoming entangled in a blind cord – the second incident in less than a week.

The 15-month-old girl was found choking on the cord about 6.25pm at a home on Hillcrest Road, Quakers Hill.

Paramedics and a CareFlight doctor worked to resuscitate the child before taking her to Westmead Children’s Hospital in a critical condition, where she later died.

Last Thursday, a 16-month-old girl in Hornsby died after becoming entangled in a cord while she slept in her cot.

 

And in August last year, 18-month-old Jack Mackay, from Mallabula, north of Newcastle, also died when he was caught up in blind cords.

KidSafe executive officer Christine Erksine said parents were not always aware of the dangers posed by blind cords.

“It’s just one of those horrible accidents that can happen,’’ Ms Erskine said. ‘‘It’s just something you wouldn’t be aware of.

“One of the issues is in smaller rooms, there’s not much choice about where to put furniture, so you may put the cot against the window for light and space.

‘‘We suggest that cots and bedding are away from a window. And you have blinds and cords that meet the new standards.’’

In 2010, the government introduced mandatory standards for blinds, stating that manufacturers had to include a warning label about cords on the packaging and attached to the cord itself.

Blinds also have to now come with instructions on how to install cords to prevent child injuries.

 

At least 11 children died in Australia between 2001 and 2008 after being caught in blind cords, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission said.

It recommends tying cords out of reach of children. The ACCC has put together an information sheet for parents on blind cord safety.

Detectives from Quakers Hill Local Area Command are investigating Tuesday’s incident.

 

A post mortem examination will be conducted to determine how the child died.

Sign Cheltenham mum’s petition to start blind cords debate.

A MUM’S campaign to get window blind cords banned across the UK to prevent toddler deaths has gathered more than 5,000 names.

 

Amanda O’Halloran, from Tirley in Gloucestershire, started Sophia’s Cause after her 17-month-old daughter Sophia died by hanging herself on a blind cord.

 

She is calling for a Parliamentary debate on the issue, claiming the fact that all blinds can be bought with a cordless design rules out the need for the dangerous loops which dangle within reach of young children.

She needs to gather 100,000 signatures for her petition to force a debate. The number of people who have signed up stood at 5,026 last night.

 

Amanda said: “So many people are living with old blinds in their home that are a danger to children.”

 

The petition is at epetitions. direct.gov.uk/petitions/55067

Blinds expert backs ‘Legacy for Lucy’ campaign to ban looped cords

A MAN with more than 30 years of experience working in the curtain and blind industry has backed a campaign over the safety of looped blind cords.

As reported in the Daily Echo, grieving Bournemouth mum Annette Latimer is calling for people to back the ‘Legacy for Lucy’ campaign after her two-year-old daughter Lucy died when she got caught up in a blind cord in her bedroom five years ago.

Earlier this month, she found out that another little girl, Sophia Lily Parslow, aged 17 months, died in the same tragic way and she decided that something had to be done. She was the 28th child to die in such a way since 1999.

Chris Hodgkins, who is based in Canford Heath, said there were already devices that could prevent accidents – and he urged all parents to make sure they are fitted.

He said a device called a cord tidy was available to keep cords out of the way and they could be fitted retrospectively.

Chris added: “The blind manufacturers supply these and when I go out and measure a job I mention to people that if they have young children they should have them fitted. But some say they don’t want them fitted.

“It’s about three years ago that these came in and we think in the next 12 months that it will become law. It’s not just down to the fitters and suppliers, it is also down to the pub

Annette said she wanted as many people as possible to know of the dangers of the blinds and has launched a petition to get them completely banned.

She added yesterday: “If something else can be done that makes sure that, 100 per cent, everybody is safe, then that’s my aim.

“The more people that know, the more people that will go out and fit a device.”

The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents has been successful in asking the government to make it a regulation that these type of blinds are manufactured with breakaway connectors.

It has also encouraged parents to fit safety devices to existing looped cord blinds.

Blinds expert backs ‘Legacy for Lucy’ campaign to ban looped cords

A MAN with more than 30 years of experience working in the curtain and blind industry has backed a campaign over the safety of looped blind cords.

As reported in the Daily Echo, grieving Bournemouth mum Annette Latimer is calling for people to back the ‘Legacy for Lucy’ campaign after her two-year-old daughter Lucy died when she got caught up in a blind cord in her bedroom five years ago.

Earlier this month, she found out that another little girl, Sophia Lily Parslow, aged 17 months, died in the same tragic way and she decided that something had to be done. She was the 28th child to die in such a way since 1999.

Chris Hodgkins, who is based in Canford Heath, said there were already devices that could prevent accidents – and he urged all parents to make sure they are fitted.

He said a device called a cord tidy was available to keep cords out of the way and they could be fitted retrospectively.

Chris added: “The blind manufacturers supply these and when I go out and measure a job I mention to people that if they have young children they should have them fitted. But some say they don’t want them fitted.

“It’s about three years ago that these came in and we think in the next 12 months that it will become law. It’s not just down to the fitters and suppliers, it is also down to the pub

Annette said she wanted as many people as possible to know of the dangers of the blinds and has launched a petition to get them completely banned.

She added yesterday: “If something else can be done that makes sure that, 100 per cent, everybody is safe, then that’s my aim.

“The more people that know, the more people that will go out and fit a device.”

The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents has been successful in asking the government to make it a regulation that these type of blinds are manufactured with breakaway connectors.

It has also encouraged parents to fit safety devices to existing looped cord blinds.

Mum’s window blinds campaign goes out on Facebook

A MUM campaigning for a ban on window blind cords has made an emotional plea on Facebook.

Amanda O’Halloran, from Tirley, started Sophia’s Cause after her 17-month-old daughter Sophia died by getting tangled in a blind cord.

  1. Amanda O'Halloran

    Amanda O’Halloran

She is calling for a Parliamentary debate on the issue, claiming the fact that all blinds can be bought with a cordless design rules out the need for the dangerous loops that dangle within reach of young children.

She needs to gather 100,000 signatures for her petition to force a debate – and so far more than 3,600 people have signed up.

On Saturday she posted an emotional message on her Facebook page: “Ban Looped Blind Cords in the UK – Sophia’s Cause”.

She said: “I hate weekends in particular, what used to be family time is now nothing but loneliness.

“My life seems pointless without you Fifi, there’s nothing in this world I want more right now than to have you in my arms.

“Very heartbroken mummy right now.”

Sophia died on June 27 while she was playing in the living room of the family home. She was left alone for just a few minutes.

In another post Amanda added: “Please keep sharing Sophia’s Cause, there are still so many people out there who are unaware of the dangers that blinds with cords pose to young children.

“My beautiful baby girl paid the ultimate price and I feel it is my responsibility to warn others so that no more innocent lives are taken this way.

“Sophia’s death has affected so many people, my little girl is loved and missed by so many.”

At the time of going to press there were 3,685 signatures on the petition.

The online petition will close on September 23, 2014.

To add your signature go to epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/ 55067 and for more information go to the Sophia’s Cause Facebook page.
Read more: http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/Mum-s-window-blinds-campaign-goes-Facebook/story-19963811-detail/story.html#ixzz2iOUgWcEL
Follow us: @thisisglos on Twitter | thisisgloucestershire on Facebook

 

Mum takes Sophia’s Cause on to TV’s This Morning

sophiaone

Little Sophia

 

BEREAVED mum Amanda O’Halloran has taken her campaign to ban looped blind cords from home across the UK onto national television.

The 22-year-old, from Tirley, appeared on ITV’s This Morning show, to talk about the death of her 17-month-old daughter Sophia, who strangled herself on a blind cord earlier this year.

She said: “We had the stair gates, the fire guard, the plug sockets and we made sure all the doors were closed.

“We also had the clips that go on the cupboard to make sure she couldn’t get in the cupboards because she had an obsession with opening and closing doors.

“She was just constantly on the go all of the time.”

Amanda and her partner Chris Parslow never thought little Sophia would play with the cords on any of the blinds, especially since they were hidden from view.

She left the tot watching Peppa Pig while she went upstairs to grab some clothes for her to wear that day, on June 27, and was gone for no more than four minutes.

She told the presenters about the awful moment when she came back downstairs and realised something was wrong. “I had a quick look around the living room and I couldn’t see her,” she added.

“My house is quite small. It’s a little cottage with really low ceilings, and I had the door closed.

“And my first reaction because I couldn’t see her was ‘Oh someone has taken her.’ That’s the first thing that came into my mind.

“And I thought, ‘No, I locked the door and she was only watching Peppa Pig.’ And that’s when I saw her hanging on the blind cord.”

From March next year new regulations will be introduced, ensuring retailers will be breaking the law if they sell products that do not meet blind safety standards.

You can find out more about Sophia’s Cause via the Facebook site. To sign the petition go to epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/55067

Read more: http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/Mum-takes-Sophia-s-Cause-TV-s-Morning/story-19889184-detail/story.html#ixzz2gwSbcKSS

Loyal keeper of a dying business

 

bl6

The self-made bamboo blind hung in front of Lau Hooi Kee. Photo courtesy: Sin Chew Daily

 

Translated by DOMINIC LOH
Sin Chew Daily

IPOH, Perak — There is a row of old shophouses along Lorong Bijeh Timah off the bridge on Hugh Low Street (Jalan Sultan Iskandar), one of which has been weaving bamboo blinds for almost a hundred years, witnessing its own transition from prosperity during the olden days to its subsequent decline.

Although the bamboo blind industry is quickly losing its appeal in recent years, the operator of this business remains loyal to the traditional trade.

There are not many shops still shielding their business premises from the scorching sun with bamboo blinds nowadays. To catch one, you may need to walk into the old streets lined with pre-war shophouses.

When approached by Sin Chew Daily, the septuagenarian owner of this shop was seen sitting alone in front of his shop flipping newspapers.

Rolls of bamboo blinds taller in height than an ordinary man’s are laid in front of the shop, along with some tools and a trishaw used to ferry the products.

Lau Chee Wah, the 76-year-old owner of Lau Hooi Kee, is the third generation operator of this dying business. With hardly any young people interested in inheriting this business from him and with the bamboo and wooden blind markets fast dwindling, Lau has been solitarily struggling to keep the antiquated industry afloat all these years.

Very few would ask for bamboo or wooden blinds these years although they were a necessity for all businesses during the olden days to shield the shops from the sultry heat of the sun while advertising their businesses on them.

Hardly seen elsewhere, these bamboo blinds can still be spotted today in the Old Town and some older neighbourhoods in Ipoh, albeit appearing worn out by the passing of time.

Lau told Sin Chew Daily this business was initiated by his grandfather almost a century ago, adding that both his grandfather and father were masters of this art.

Lau started helping out at the shop as apprentice in his teens, and having later commanded the skills of making the blinds, he became the natural heir to the family business. Today, Lau is still insistent on carrying out this business despite poor prospects for his products.

“We saw the prime of this industry but not many would look for bamboo blinds nowadays. I would only start work if there is a customer order. As for the rest of the time I would be left with nothing to do.”

Lau said his was the only shop still making bamboo blinds in the town of Ipoh and most of his customers are Malays which is peculiar as Chinese businessmen have long given up bamboo blinds.

Sold by area, each square foot used to cost only RM2 in the past but is now at least RM7.

“There are many alternatives available in the market and bamboo blinds are no longer the only option. As a result, we cannot sell them too expensively or no one would want them.”

He also said it would take at least two to three days to complete one set of bamboo blinds, including weaving, painting, etc.

As bamboo blind making involves a lot of work and the margin is thin, hardly anyone is keen to pick up this skill, which is poised to be wiped out by time eventually.

 

http://mysinchew.com/node/89796?tid=102

Tory minister refuses to back mum’s call for blind ban.

DEFIANT mum Amanda O’Halloran has vowed not to be deterred in her campaign to outlaw loop cord blinds – despite a Government minister saying there were “no plans” to adopt a ban.

The 22-year-old, from Tirley, launched the campaign Sophia’s Cause after her 17-month-old daughter Sophia died by strangling herself with the cord of the window blind in the lounge.
Sophia Parslow

Sophia Parslow

 

She had been left playing downstairs for a few short minutes when the incident took place.

Amanda and her partner Chris Parslow want all cord blinds to be banned in homes across the UK to prevent any similar tragedies.

After writing to her MP Mark Harper asking what could be done to ban loose cord blinds, the issue was escalated to ministerial level.

But she was disappointed when Michael Fallon, Minister for Business and Enterprise, wrote back to Mr Harper saying there were “no plans to instigate a specific sales ban” on blinds with cords, claiming there were already rigorous safety regulations in place.

Amanda, who grew up in Cheltenham, admitted it was not the response she wanted, but pledged not to let it affect her resolve. She has already gathered 3,000 signatures for her online petition and needs 100,000 to force a Parliamentary debate on the issue.

She said: “Other governments have banned these blinds so why hasn’t the UK followed? I won’t stop until my voice is heard. This is for my beautiful daughter Sophia and every child in the UK.”

Sophia’s death on June 27 was believed to be the 15th UK death linked to this design of window blind since 2010.

Cheltenham MP Martin Horwood called for a full debate on the issue.

“We need to start discussing this more seriously in parliament,” he said. “Perhaps an early day motion could be tabled or a meeting requested with Michael Fallon.”

To sign the petition go to epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/55067 and for more information go to the Sophia’s Cause Facebook page.

Read more: http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/Tory-minister-refuses-mum-s-blind-ban/story-19872808-detail/story.html#ixzz2ge8d3fPJ

Impossible not to blame myself for tragedy

MUM Amanda O’Halloran says it has been impossible not to blame herself for a freak incident in which her 17-month-old daughter strangled herself on a blind cord.

Toddler Sophia was playing at the family home, in Tirley, when she got her neck caught in the beaded loop and fell over. She died in seconds while her mum popped to the loo.

Amanda said despite being plagued with guilt, she knew what happened to Sophia could have happened to anyone of that age.

Now through Sophia’s Cause, she and her partner Chris Parslow are campaigning to get looped cord blinds banned across the UK – as well as urging parents to use cordless blinds.

Amanda, 22, said: “Of course I blamed myself for what happened to start with. But every parent, if they are being honest, will tell you that it is impossible to keep an eye on their child every minute of the day. Everyone has to go to the toilet at some point.

“I know that by speaking out about my story I am risking some people criticising me as a bad mum. But I know that I wasn’t. Sophia was so well-loved.”

Sophia died on the morning of June 27.

“I still have to live with that image in my head and it is something I will never forget,” added hotel receptionist Amanda.

“But I also have so many happy memories of Sophia.”

She is believed to be the 28th person in the UK to have died on a blind cord since 1999.

The British Blind and Shutter Association said it is making changes to ensure safety devices come with cord blinds.

Amanda has spoken to her MP, Forest of Dean’s Mark Harper who said he would comment once he had spoken to to her again.

Stroud MP Neil Carmichael said: “Safety in the home is so important. I think it’s important to identify issues like this and act so they can’t happen again.”

Gloucester MP Richard Graham said: “This is a ghastly human tragedy, but I don’t think we should rush into changes into the law.”

To sign the petition to have cord blinds banned at epetitions.direct. gov.uk/petitions/55067.

Read more: http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/Impossible-blame-tragedy/story-19863105-detail/story.html#ixzz2gSZ5q299